Extinction is the third paid DLC expansion for ARK: Survival Evolved. It was released on November 6th for PC and November 13th for Xbox and PS4, and is available for purchase through the Season Pass.
There’s a lot of new content in the new DLC expansion, including new creatures, new items, and most importantly, a whole new map. The new map is set on Earth, but in the future, overgrown with sci-fi and nature. A shattered moon floats high above Earth's red, swollen skyl, and a variety of strange, mutated plants, most red or orange, grow among the rocks of the barren wasteland.
Creatures on the Extinction map are different from anything previously seen in the ARK universe. You can now capture, tame and craft powerful and unusual organic and mechanical creature types, rather than the usual you may expect. There’s a lot you can do with them, including:
- Increase your awareness by flying and controlling robotic surveillance drones
- Collect valuable resources by taming and feeding organic transmutation machines
- Reach new heights and remote locations by climbing and teleporting with the ultimate security bot
- Ensure your survival by building and piloting your own customizable battle mech to victory
In addition to new creatures, there are also new unique crafting items, which can be very helpful to you. Some of the things you can do with the new items include:
- Keep your tames where you want them with a creature leash
- Use taxidermy tools to make trophy mounts from your most memorable kills
- Travel across previously uncrossable gaps with Tek bridges
- Store and preserve creatures in a portable crypod for reuse later
- Utilize Tek gravity grenades to attract or repel enemies to your advantage
- Autonomously airlift loot back to your base with an airborne delivery crate
Survivors must also be prepared for unique challenges in this new expansion, which are fueled by cataclysmic events from Element running rampant across Earth, corrupting and mutating all that it touches. Expect challenges such as:
- Engage in epic battles when encountering the colossal Titans that rule the planet as the ultimate apex predator
- Scour the wastelands for orbital supply drops and protect the precious cargo they contain from an onslaught of Element-corrupted monstrosities
- Survive and shelter from environmental anomalies such as Element eruptions, eclipses and meteor showers
Several of us here at Streamline Servers ended up trying out the update to see what it was all about and if we liked it or not. We went around exploring the map together, taming dinosaurs and trying out some of the challenges such as fending off an onslaught of creatures trying to protect a supply drop that we came across. We even attempted challenging a Titan, however it did not go down too well for us. Overall, we were quite happy with the new content in this update. The futuristic style of the update is definitely quite unique and unexpected, however it spices up the game from what it has previously been.